[talk-au] suburb boundaries

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 07:40:02 BST 2012

Hi Anthony,

I don't think not knowing how to do it is the issue.

More to the point is that we imported the 2006 ABS data, and it may
have caused more problems that it solved.

The boundaries correspond to ABS statistical regions.  They aren't
necessarily suburb boundaries, nor towns, nor governed areas.

If we import them again, what do they represent?  Do we update the
manually?  If the ABS release a newer data set do we replace the old?
If so, is it even reasonable to import data we don't want to modify?

Every data consumer would like to see more data in the OSM database to
consume.  However as data maintainers we have to balance their needs
with our ability to manage an incredibly voluminous import and keep it
maintained and accurate within the OSM database.

We've removed the ABS2006 data, and it did a fair bit of damage in
doing so.  I'd like to think we had learned the lessons of that before
embarking on the next one.  Feel free to initiate a discussion.

Ian.