[talk-au] Aligning steets

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:37:56 BST 2012

On 20 September 2012 09:41, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> Yes it is a small roundabout as you can not legally drive over it unless
> it is impractical to do so.
>
> The vehicle in the street view is clearly about to drive around the center
> island.  Whereas if it was a truck/bus/caravan it would be able to drive
> over it if necessary.
>
> Read through the mailing list archives all this discussion was thrashed
> out years ago and nothing has changed.

What you just described is the exact definition of a mini-roundabout.
 Mini-roundabout doesn't mean you can legally drive over it in any vehicle,
it means that you can physically drive over it if you need to. The
australian guidelines are wrong, in this case.  And yes, I know how they
evolved to this state, I've kept up on the discussion over the years.  But
with the recent clarifications to the definition of mini-roundabout and
roundabout in the main tagging guideline, and the fact that you can't tag a
fully drawn out roundabout as traversable, there is now a need for using
mini-roundabout in Australia.

Stephen