[talk-au] OSM Australia Garmin download update timing and method

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Mon Sep 24 00:45:36 BST 2012

Hi Ian,

On 23/09/12 22:27, Steer wrote:
> I have been updating OSM in my suburb, and am getting the feeling
> that while the Garmin maps on OSM Australia update every night, the
> changes I make don’t seem to come through for many days.
>
> Can someone please explain the process so I know when to start
> looking for my updates ?

I see changes come through within hours at higher resolutions (I hope
I've got the right term there).  But I've often got to click on "reload
current page" in my browser to fetch the latest version instead of
seeing the old cached version.

At lower resolutions, changes can take a week to come through.  That
being said, you can force an update on any individual tile at any time.

Right-click on the map to get the URL of the individual tile that
interests you.  Paste that into your browser's address bar and add
"/dirty" to the end.  Then press <Enter> to activate that URL.

Eg, http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/16/60531/38961.png becomes
http://a.tile.openstreetmap.org/16/60531/38961.png/dirty and you'll get
a result of "Tile submitted for rendering".

John