[talk-au] JOSM and OSM reliability!

Brett Russell brussell237 at live.com.au
Tue Apr 30 06:47:43 UTC 2013

Hi

As a few might have noticed I have been experimenting with JOSM to deal with mutlipolygon relationships.  Ok JOSM is frustratingly different to use than Polatch but it has many nicer things so I have bitten the bullet but are now experienced another round of problems.  I was contacted by an OSM administrator and informed that I had loaded up multiple overlapping ways.  I checked in Polatch and sure enough at least four overlays and to add to my increasing frustration levels when I deleted them in Polatch my computer freezes and eventually Polatch tells me it can not do this with and error message of failed update.

It appears that OSM can only handle simple edits and once the number of points exceeds 2000 it fails over corrupting OSM database.  In all very frustrating as I do more complex mapping task.  Does make me wonder am I doing something wrong or is this typical OSM flakey behaviour?

Cheers

Brett