[talk-au] OpenStreetMap in Government

kristy van putten kristy.vanputten at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 09:29:13 UTC 2013

Hi Aussie OSM people!

I would like to introduce myself, my name is Kristy Van Putten and I am
currently living and working for the Australian Government in Indonesia as
a the Spatial Analyst.  Over the last 2 years I have been managing the
implementation of OSM across Indonesia in partnership with
the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team. We have had amazing success, with
~1,000,000 buildings mapped in 2 years and well over 500 people trained.
This initiative is based on finding out where people live in order to
understand the impact of disasters. We also have the national mapping
agency looking into ways to use the OSM data as part of their One Map
Policy.

I will be heading back to Geoscience Australia at the end of the year and
there is some interest in trying to implement similar things in Australia.
 I have been asked to start thinking about putting a concept together,
before I start formulating this concept I would be keen to draw on the
Australian OSM community knowledge, and see what has already been tried, or
thought of and how we can use this to shape a general concept for
discussion.

On a personal note I would be interested in hearing more about the OSM
Australia activities, and people current goals with OSM.
I have read about the Bicentennial National Trail team, has anyone thought
of 4WD trails in OSM?  I would also be keen to find out if there are any
Ozzy teaching OSM to schools or scout groups etc?

Looking forward to talking to you all
Cheers

--

*Kristy Van Putten*****

Spatial Analyst, Data Manager

Australia-Indonesia Facility Disaster Reduction**

Mb: +62 811 987 573