[talk-au] Incorporating public information into OSM - Legal situation

Brett Russell brussell237 at live.com.au
Mon Aug 19 09:19:43 UTC 2013

Hi

I have been working on OSM maps for bushwalking and this has generated a fair bit of interest.  A few people have taken up mapping and one person approached me on lifting rivers and streams data from the 1:250,000 publicly available data.  My response was no as it is likely copyrighted and OSM requires no restriction be placed on the data.  Not to be defeated he wrote to A/g Manager, Information & Product Management Policy Unit  Information Management Corporate Services  |  GEOSCIENCE AUSTRALIA and received this reply.

"Thank you for your email enquiry in regards to copyright and Creative
Commons. The material available as a free download under a Creative
Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia licence is still under copyright. We
are releasing many of our products under the CC-BY licence which means
that you may share (copy, distribute and transmit the work), remix and
make adaption or even make commercial use of the work. The only
condition for using the product under this licence is that you must
attribute Geoscience Australia. http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/au/deed.en

 If you have any further questions or would like me to send you the attribution statement we require please let me know.

Regards"

Given that this data (rough as it might be) might be available what is the OSM community thoughts on an Australia wide approach?  Basically has anyone been down this road.  I would imagine the challenge would be to identify what data is available under what license.

 Anyway your thoughts please.

Cheers

Brett