[talk-au] Incorporating public information into OSM - Legal situation

Ian Sergeant inas66 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 10:30:24 UTC 2013

On 20 August 2013 18:29, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> Did they confirm with Geoscience that the "Creative Commons Attribution
> 3.0 Australia" is compatible with ODBL?
>
> This is one of the reservations that some of us had with changing to ODBL.

Maybe.  The issue for both licences is just getting the attribution right.
I think you've taken the view that just an attribution in the data is
sufficient, and nothing on the map itself?  I think it is best in both
cases just to agree with the data owner what constitutes reasonable
attribution for the medium, and that we can deliver it.

Also you will find it's not that easy.  It takes a significant amount of
> time and effort to include this data from the downloaded shapefiles. They
> can not just be imported to osm.
>  <Talk-au at openstreetmap.org>

Well, shapefiles or otherwise there are lots of issues in a bulk import.

If the data is available, then making it available to trace or very
selectively import could be useful.  I don't think we want to go down the
path of another significant data load with poor quality data with lots of
fixme tags.

I'm yet to see anything on the GA that I think would make an appropriate
bulk import to OSM, not that there isn't lots of good stuff there.  Of more
interest are some of the city detail info that we've discussed previously
on this list, some of which is hard to obtain by survey.

Ian.