[talk-au] Incorporating public information into OSM - Legal situation

Christopher Barham cbarham at pobox.com
Tue Aug 20 14:12:14 UTC 2013

On 2013-08-20 12:30, Ian Sergeant wrote:

> On 20 August 2013 18:29, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
>
>> Did they confirm with Geoscience that the "Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia" is compatible with ODBL?
>>
>> This is one of the reservations that some of us had with changing to ODBL.
>
> Maybe. The issue for both licences is just getting the attribution right. I think you've taken the view that just an attribution in the data is sufficient, and nothing on the map itself? I think it is best in both cases just to agree with the data owner what constitutes reasonable attribution for the medium, and that we can deliver it.

Ref CC-BY-SA3 - it seems to be fairly explicit on these pages:

 	* http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors#Australia
 	*
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Attribution/data.gov.au_explicit_permission

I think the attribution should not go on the source tags of the
nodes/ways, but instead on the changeset and the wiki. Chris