[talk-au] Adding residential properties?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Dec 5 10:54:25 UTC 2013

My practice is

- Add the buidings from imagery, generally with building=house and
  building=shed

- Add address info from a survey, either with field papers + pen or
  geotagged photos

- Add other interesting features from the survey (paths, mailboxes, etc)

- Trace out the landuse, generally as larger than single blocks, but
  using separate polygons for areas split on major roads

This generally involves an initial imagery-based mapping for buildings,
trees, paths, and other stuff visible from imagery, a survey, then a
final mapping using survey notes + imagery.

It helps having buildings mapped already when collecting addresses.