[talk-au] Adding residential properties?

Daniel O'Connor daniel.oconnor at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 21:31:09 UTC 2013

I started out with buildings, but got a bit excited in my local area;
getting down into trees, power lines, fences, driveways etc.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/-34.84928/138.52277

Not super pretty looking.

Nowdays, I tend to map the primary houses only, and perhaps significant
features like a tennis court or pool if present.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/-34.8808/138.5473

I wouldn't worry about tracing the individual parcels of land - there are
better data sets which are maintained by various governments, either at
cost or as open data (vicmap cadastre, psma's cadlite, etc); but to my
knowledge no one is flying LIDAR equipped planes over AU cities and
publishing the data yet re buildings.

Anyway once you get past your street/block/etc; I'd recommend you start
tracing buildings along your way to work or a similar commute.
That lets you use a tool like Vespucci OSM Editor or Keypad Mapper 3 to
collect data, if you are a public transport user or tend to walk from A to
B.

Another piece of data that is quite interesting is building:levels.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building:levels

If you work in the city as I do, it becomes fairly easy to tag the multiple
story buildings with the same tools.
http://osmbuildings.org/?lat=-34.92556&lon=138.60092&zoom=16