[talk-au] JOSM and losing Bing Hi Res zoom recently

Jason Ward jasonjward5 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 00:38:19 UTC 2013

Hi Alex,

The age is an interesting point but not what I am experiencing I think.  As
an example, and to your point, I accept that the Higher Resolution imagery
is older than the lower resolution imagery.  My house roof solar panels
installed in June 2011 are there in the Low res images.  When I zoom closer
they are not, indicating that they are, at least in my area, at least 24
months old.

The actual problem is that I can only get the Low res images (Zoom 19 in
JOSM) to show in the application and tracing is not possible, for housing
at least, with these map tiles (because JOSM just keeps zooming the Level
19 tiles to give a pixelated effect).

I'd point out too that I have completed tracing in the not too distant past
- literally just before this problem started to occur using Bing imagery
See here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/248814095 as an example and
while I had no idea about Bing Zoom Levels before needing to run this
problem down I am confident that I would not have completed this tracing at
the current Zoom 19.

Extra / New Info.  The OSM iD (in-browser) editor is also not showing the
Bing Hi res images (so its not just me!)  Something has happened recently.
 I'd be interested to here from other BNE mappers because I am confuzzled.

Cheers,

Jason

Cheers,

Jason