[talk-au] South Australia - Public Transport / OSM data

Daniel O'Connor daniel.oconnor at gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 07:02:24 UTC 2013

Alrighty, so:

1) The import of SA suburb boundaries is now effectively complete

2) Minor cleanup work (simplified ways that don't quite join with their
other boundaries) remains, but for routing purposes unless someone is on a
boat in a river, things should be fairly OK.
These are only an issue for very detailed polygons, and I'm fixing by
removing excess nodes.

3) I had issues with Daw Park, and one or two other areas (regional or
existing features), which I'll be cleaning up shortly - either by applying
the tags to the existing feature or by manually tracing.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/South_Australian_Suburb_Boundaries has
more detail.

Through work (property valuation) I'm pushing for us to start marking out
property developments and share that data.

We already get access to plans and physically travel out there across the
nation, so introducing a tool like vespucchi to record a really rough
polygon while in the field isn't too much of a stretch.

Alternatively, we can probably find a number of property development
companies publishing plans via google or planning alerts, and organize for
mappers to go survey in the area.

http://www.planningalerts.org.au/authorities#sa - I wrote a scraper for
this some time ago; it might need a bit of attention to get working again (
http://www.planningalerts.org.au/authorities/edala/applicationsspecifically).
Presumably you'd only want land area > 1 acre or something
to be flagged; as standard resi development stuff isn't going to get a new
name.