[talk-au] Murchison - Square Kilometer Telescope not showing on Garmin maps

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 06:48:59 UTC 2013

On 31/12/2013 2:10 PM, Jason Ward wrote:

> The proposed observatory schema seems to have stalled but looking
> through the discussion on it there was consensus from the group that
> is ready enough to put to a vote (which is where it seems to have
> stopped progress).
>
> Maybe take a look through there and pick up that proposal if you have
> the means to do so.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jason
>
> On 31 Dec 2013 13:06, "John Henderson" <snowgum at gmx.com
> <mailto:snowgum at gmx.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 31/12/13 11:17, Warin wrote:
>
>         Any other thoughts?
>

>     Use mkgmap to make your own Garmin maps.  Edit the mkgmap points file
>     and add an entry for radio telescope.  Eg:
>
>             man_made=radio_telescope [0x6411 resolution 21]
>
>     John

> Radio telescope is the only reasonable and logical tag, tower is TOO vague and cummunication is inaccurite
>
> sparrowhawk

Humm ..
Point on "Mapping for the renderer" is good. Accepted :)

------------
sparrowhawk
I do like key = tower .. as they are on towers .. they have a different
function, but still tower - as in visible from the horizon.
The proposed tag man_made, radio telescope .. well man_made is also
vague .. sits better with optical telescopes? Not too fussed.

The Parks radio telescope is an interesting one .. tagged tower,
communication .. yes it does get used that way (ref film "The Dish" as
seen on free to air TV) but it was and is used as a radio telescope ..
dual function.

Arr .. I'm forgetting the film 'Contact' with that radio telescope that
sits in a recess in a mountain.. so man made then ?

OK? This is probably better discussed this elsewhere?!

------------------

The renderer is probably waiting on the proposal being finalised?
As for making my own maps ..been doing that since .. well .. before OSM
got going. Tired of it, finding my 'mates' want my maps.. but as I use
things for personal use without too much worry about copyright
permissions (if it is on the web .. well I should be able to use it for
my own use), I am reluctant to give them away for fear they will be
distributed... leading to problems.

So

Step 1
Getting feature/tags accepted ... ? Any hints on this for a beginner?
I'm looking at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features#Proposal_list

Ok ..
found
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/amenity%3Dastronomical_observatory
- vote proposed in 2009 on the wiki ..
as well as the  page on radio telescope
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Observatory that
has at least some discussion .. but nothing on voting

Their not thinking outside their expertise - astronomical_observatory -
appears to be optical only, Observatory - Bird, Wildlife, Meteorological
(weather), etc. considered in 'Observatory' discussion . .. I do like

observatory:type=espionage .. who is going to place that on any map? :P

Conclusion so far ; Naming a tag is not easy ..

Step 2
Renderer..

What sort of time frame would be expected for setps 1&2 ? :)

--------------------

Surprised how quickly you guys responded to this .. probably reflecting
the fundamental error I made ..

At least I now have a better understanding of what is going on..

Happy New Year.

(as this post contains the word 'esponage' it will probably attract
attention .. hi out there spy guys!)

PS David .. yep I'm getting the idea of time scale. When you do yer own
then things can get changed quickly. Hadcommittees at work like that ..
committees of one work very quickly if not well all the time.

At the moment I'm inclinde to have the tag tower to reflect that these
are on towers .. as well as the tag radio telescope.. still thinking on
that .. and I'll take my time on it too.