[talk-au] Cycle routes and MTB routes

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Tue Feb 12 02:22:45 GMT 2013

On 12/02/13 12:29, Barker, Nicholas wrote:
> Hi all I’m after a bit of clarification regarding national cycle
> route and mountain bike route relations in Australia. I've searched
> the wiki but still have some questions. I hope someone can point me
> in the right direction. As many of you will know we have a few well
> known long distance (100km+) cycle routes, some of which cross state
> boundaries. These routes are also rugged and designed to be ridden on
> mountain bikes or hybrids only. A few examples of these are: The
> Bicentennial (VIC/NSW/QLD) The goldfields track (VIC) The Mawson
> Trail (SA) The Munda Biddi (WA) My Questions… As these are extended
> bicycle routes (albeit for MTBs or tough hybrids) are of national
> significance do they constitute a national cycling network and
> should they be mapped as such?

If I can comment on the BNT, I started mapping that a long time ago in
my region (with a lot of discussion on this list).  I created a relation
for it, and believe further mapping should be added to that as the
primary relation - http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/176684

Some of what I mapped is now out of date, as urban sprawl has changed
the route in places.  Redaction damage may not be fully repaired either.

The BNT is primarily an equestrian route, with walking and cycling as
important activities.  All of it is suitable for walking - cycling a
little less so in places.

John H