[talk-au] NSW Transport Data Exchange (TDX)

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 11:24:48 GMT 2013

On 22/01/13 12:18, Michael Gratton wrote:
> Has there been any discussion about the Transport NSW TDX program
> <https://tdx.131500.com.au/>? I note they make available a GTFS file
> which should include the lat/long of all stops and stations, which would
> be nice to have in OSM.
>
> Their licence looks rather restrictive however
> <https://tdx.131500.com.au/terms-conditions.php>, I assume this would be
> a deal breaker for OSM?

Hmm... seems like they changed from CC-BY back to a custom license?

On 22/01/13 23:17, Michael Gratton wrote:
> From the sounds of it, one thing they are anxious is having old
> route/timetable data being out in public.

I'm not sure whats wrong with keeping historical records...

In my view, the less restrictions they place on the data, the more
freely it will flow, creating more competition and innovation among
people using the data and building products incorporating the data...

On 23/01/13 08:43, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> It would be nice to see the data integrated with OSM as another "layer",
> however from what Andrew was saying it is only a point to point graph, so
> we can't get OSM style public transport routes from it, only stops.

Yeh, I believe the data is,
* stops as nodes (so bus stops, train stations, ferry terminals)
* distinct journeys

Probably worth another look though, but I believe,
* It didn't say which roads were used for the route, just station to
station (but since the stations are fairly close you could infer)
* I don't think it used the common route names, but rather each
timetabled journey was recorded as a separate route.

You can still include this into OSM, its just you need to decide is it
better to do a mass import, or collect it naturally via the traditional
OSM way of going out and observing what is out there.

See http://tianjara.net/data/tdx.nsw.gov.au/. Mind you I haven't looked
any further into it since my initial investigation.