[talk-au] Coastline and beaches

James Livingston lists at sunsetutopia.com
Tue Jan 8 23:53:58 GMT 2013

On 8 January 2013 20:32, Brett Russell <brussell237 at live.com.au> wrote:
> Assuming that I am reading OSM instructions correct the beach is suppose to
> only extend to the high water mark so the coastline and beach should have a
> one to one relationship on the water side.  But then I have been wrong
> before with OSM.

I think there is what the wiki says, what the wiki says elsewhere,
what is actually done, and what is a good idea :)

The coastline page certainly does say that it should extend to the
high water mark, and the early coastlines based on PGS data probably
had that. Since people started tracing from imagery, I imagine a lot
of traced coastline is actually "wherever the water was in the
imagery" rather than the high water mark.

If in future we want to map both the low and high water marks, the
obvious thing to do would be to use coastline for the low water mark,
water=tidal[0] for the middle area, and beach/whatever for everything
that's dry.

I gave up debating these kind of changes long ago, since people are
never going to agree, regardless of the proposal :-\

[0] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:water%3Dtidal

--
James