[talk-au] surface=unsealed in 4wd/dirt road tagging

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Tue Jul 2 10:42:19 UTC 2013

On 02/07/13 17:58, Steve Bennett wrote:
> ....  If people want to be specific with surface=dirt,
> surface=gravel then that would be different.
Just a thought here, we'd really like "the renderers" to show
unpaved/unsealed/whatever roads differently from sealed ones. In
particular, the mapnik rendered slippery map on the OSM website....

They show little interest I must admit but will show even less if we
point to a whole range of surface= tags that need that treatment. So
might be better agreeing on one term rather than being very specific and
saying 'dirt', 'gravel'  etc. As I have mentioned before, this is a road
safety issue as much as a presentation one.

I like the idea of 'unpaved', it gets heaps of use internationally and I
should update the mapnik request accordingly...

David