[talk-au] park vs nature reserve

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Jun 25 08:47:08 UTC 2013

Paul Norman wrote:
> It's important to remember that leisure=park doesn't apply to all parks.

I'm guessing that the second "park" in that sentence is used in the
North American "national/state park" sense whereas the one in the
original question usage sounded closer to British English usage*.

However one example, Kings Park in Perth, has it's entire area as a
"leisure=park", even the "maintained bushland" part:

This does make some sense to me as the maintenance of the bushlands part
is surely just as artificial as the manicured lawns to the east.  The
first English stateley home parks were very much "highly engineered to
look natural" too.

Cheers,
Andy

* IANA Australian, so can't particularly comment on that...