[talk-au] park vs nature reserve

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 25 22:32:02 UTC 2013

Andrew, I don't think the current definitions in OSM provide well for
the range of 'parks' you will encounter. I think its probably best to
try and at least define the borders between various sections, even if
you end up labeling them all with the same.

For example near me there is a section of National Park, State Forest
and State Conservation Reserve, all adjoining. Before the OSM licensing
issues a few years ago, this was all presented as one homogeneous lump,
clearly wrong. Better to get the areas mapped and if later, better tags
come into use, easy to update.

Tags worth thinking about -

landuse=forest; recreation_ground; conservation (last one unapproved)

leisure=park; nature_reserve; dog_park

boundary=national_park

I don't think the definitions of any of them are very helpful to be
honest. I use boundary=national_park for parks we would clearly identify
as not being a "National Park" but its the closest we have.

David