[talk-au] Alphanumeric references in NSW

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Fri May 3 11:00:04 UTC 2013

On 3 May 2013 17:13, Ben Johnson <tangararama at gmail.com> wrote:

> We should expect large-scale coverplate removal any day now. RMS has been
> waiting until end of school holidays, and also I believe for the release of
> Sydway and UBD 2014 editions which apparently are now available with new
> route numbers… so I think we're about to see big changes fast. So brace
> yourselves.

If you're fairly confident, I would be happy to live with the new
references a few weeks in advance, if that's what we decide.  It is
primarily just the hotch-potch I'd like to avoid.

What should become of the old routes?  Should old_ref be retained, should
> old route relations remain?

I think where it is easy to retain the old_ref during the transition we
should.  However, these routes have changed so many times, and we don't
currently have the schema to retain every variation old route, so I see it
just as a transitional thing.

> Regard hierachies - have we agreed that all A routes are Trunk, and all B
> routes are Primary?  Should former the "State" routes (e.g. SR83 Old
> Pacific Hwy from Gosford to Doyalson) currently assigned as a Primary road
> now be lowered to Secondary as it loses its route number.

I think reflects our current agreement.  And finally we'll be able to have
a deterministic algorithm at least for trunk and primary.

I imagine the RMS in their wisdom are going to call the Hume south of
Berrima the A31, rather than M31, so we'll have to make a call on whether
we keep that as motorway.  I'd personally be in favour of doing so.

Ian.