[talk-au] OpenStreetMap in Government

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun May 5 12:05:38 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 7:29 PM, kristy van putten
<kristy.vanputten at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a personal note I would be interested in hearing more about the OSM
> Australia activities, and people current goals with OSM.
> I have read about the Bicentennial National Trail team, has anyone thought
> of 4WD trails in OSM?  I would also be keen to find out if there are any
> Ozzy teaching OSM to schools or scout groups etc?

Hi Kristy,
  For my part, I've done a lot of mapping in and around Melbourne, but
am now shifting attention to rural areas, particularly since Bing
imagery has improved a lot. I do a lot of cycle touring, and a bit of
hiking, and have quite an interest in having good data in OSM to
support those activities. There's also a big crossover between the
needs of 4WD-ers and the kind of cycle touring I like to do, so I'm
interested in the issues David Bannon raised. Right at the moment,
though, I'm remapping some areas along the Goulburn (southwest of
Shepparton) that got lost in the licence change.

My take on where the Australian OSM community is at is that we're
still a bit scarred from the hugely disruptive licence changeover, and
the leaving of some of the rather abrasive individuals in the process.
I'd love to see more discussion about goals for the community,
individual projects etc.

Steve