[talk-au] OpenStreetMap in Government

Matt White mattwhite at iinet.com.au
Mon May 6 09:22:21 UTC 2013

I'm also very interested in 4wd trails - it's what 80% of my mapping
consists of I think (that, and house numbers in the inner north of
Melbourne)

The current 4wd_only tag was one of the tags I proposed a few years ago
- there was a massive barney at the time over the smoothness=* and
surface=* tags, and all I wanted to do was mark roads that were clearly
tagged as 4wd only (proper 4wd as in low range, high clearance). The
surface/smoothness debate was interesting, but got in the way of the
larger problem.

I've come to the conclusion that the Australian mappers pretty much have
to go it alone in this area - what the Americans and Europeans call a
4wd track would be a national highway for us (and we actually have a few
legitimate highways and primary roads that are 4wd/seasonal closure type
roads. I'm not a massive fan of the tracktype=* tag - it's a random
number that is too subjective.

There was an attempt in Victoria a while ago to class various tracks
around the place as 4wd - the DSE/Parks Vic had a program where various
4wd club members were trained in what constituted an green, blue, black
and double black road (very ski-trail), and got people out mapping that,
but it all went to pot when it turned out that the DSE/Parks Vic guys
were taking those results from the 4wd guys, and then either closing the
roads to management vehicles only, or grading them so they were rated
green. Pretty soon after that, the 4wd clubs got suitably annoyed, and
stopped supporting the initiative.

To the best of my knowledge, we still don't have a decent "subject to
seasonal closure" tagging schema either - believe that Liz was at one
time proposing something, but I think she's given up on OSM post license
change.

I'd be more than happy to help put together an AU only/AU based 4wd
mapping set of rules and tags that we can use - if we can agree on
something, I can also mod the hi-res/4wd maps I crank out for the Garmin
devices to suit, and possibly even learn the Mapnik rendering stuff to
implement the rendering side in Mapnik (seeing as DIY often appears as
the only way the renderer gets changed). I wrote up some surface tagging
concepts ages ago I thought might fly for handling the surface issue for
4wd tracks, as well as some general rules for tagging roads (eg: when
off the beaten track, it's critical to mark the entire stretch of road
as 4wd only or similar if there are no turns you can make to get off the
road - often once you are on a 4wd road, you tend to be committed to
going forwards...)

Matt