[talk-au] OpenStreetMap in Government

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri May 10 07:01:57 UTC 2013

Hi all,
  This is a really interesting discussion, and thanks for the insights
about Australia vs Europe vs US. A few comments:

1) I think TileMill/MapBox will be a game changer for the "rendering
guys won't listen to us" problem. I suspect it will soon be much, much
easier to have lots of different map views out there, and we can
create Australian-specific maps easily. So we should continue to work
out the best tagging system and use that - even if it's not currently
supported by any rendering styles.
2) If we do use tags that are essentially unique to Australia, we
should consider still doubling up with standard tags where convenient.
If 4wd_only means "you shouldn't attempt this track without a 4 wheel
drive, even if this particular section is ok", then we can still add
track_type tags to the relevant sections, if known.
3) There are decades of practice in cartography to learn from. We
might as well go with existing practice in current 4WD maps. The
standard distinctions seem to be something like 4WD/2WD/dirt/sealed,
and sometimes one more category indicating something like "possibly
impassable". So no need for the 10 point roughness/tracktype scale -
it's too hard.
4) And yes, we should have simple tags that correspond to existing
cartography practice: "MVO", "(subject to seasonal closure") and "4WD
only".

Steve