[talk-au] OpenStreetMap in Government

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Fri May 10 21:28:30 UTC 2013

On 10 May 2013 17:01, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3) There are decades of practice in cartography to learn from. We
> might as well go with existing practice in current 4WD maps. The
> standard distinctions seem to be something like 4WD/2WD/dirt/sealed,
> and sometimes one more category indicating something like "possibly
> impassable". So no need for the 10 point roughness/tracktype scale -
> it's too hard.

But your overall point is surely that as long as we have the basics, if
some group of people want the extra information and are willing to gather
it, and some other group of people want to use the information and are
willing to render/route it, then all is good.

We're here to use our data in new an innovative ways, right?

On this topic, we seem to have some people who are keen to build apps with
4wd data, and other people who would like to add the 4wd tags to specific
data.  Both sides seem to be looking to the Wizard of OSM for the answer,
but they appear to be wearing ruby slippers.

Ian.