[talk-au] OpenStreetMap in Government

Daniel O'Connor daniel.oconnor at gmail.com
Thu May 16 02:46:42 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM, kristy van putten <
kristy.vanputten at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Aussie OSM people!
>
> I would like to introduce myself, my name is Kristy Van Putten and I am
> currently living and working for the Australian Government in Indonesia as
> a the Spatial Analyst.  Over the last 2 years I have been managing the
> implementation of OSM across Indonesia in partnership with
> the Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team. We have had amazing success, with
> ~1,000,000 buildings mapped in 2 years and well over 500 people trained.
> This initiative is based on finding out where people live in order to
> understand the impact of disasters. We also have the national mapping
> agency looking into ways to use the OSM data as part of their One Map
> Policy.

To drag us back on topic, particularly with regard to *understanding the
impact of disasters *I did a bit of work last weekend to mash together
various country fire authorities with open street map data.

Writeup @
http://clockwerx.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/consuming-georss-and-querying.html

Code @ https://github.com/CloCkWeRX/burning-down

I don't have it running on a server at the moment, but I thought it was a
good, simple example of how systems can leverage open data - getting a *
rough* idea of
1) For a fire, what's near by?
Forest, aka a bunch of fuel?
Houses?
Water? (Dams on property?)

Can I get a route from My Location to nearest Water Source? (I didn't build
this bit yet)

Sure a lot of this is possible with satellite imagery or a geospatial team
directly supporting firefighters given enough preparation; but why not
stick this on a smartphone like device - small, dimly intelligent
applications that sanity check a tired firefighter's judgement call?

2) Given an incremental feed of fires, construct a database. This sort of
thing seems useful for insurance companies (has the asset my customer is
talking about caught on fire? Should I get someone to check that?) and
other companies that want to know about the condition of buildings.

I'm sure there have to be other uses of disaster related information
meeting open map data, beyond those commercial applications.

My question to you:
What disaster data would you find most useful?
How would you use it?