[talk-au] Fwd: {Adelaide Metro Developer Group} Open Street Maps Contribution

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Wed Nov 20 05:39:21 UTC 2013

Hi,

I met this afternoon with Garth Walker from the SA Government DPTI who’s using OpenStreetMap data with OpenJourneyPlanner for public transport journey planning on Adelaidemetro.com.au

One thing that came up early on was a lot of footpaths crossing but not meeting highways giving them and their users issues, e.g. from KeepRight

http://www.keepright.at/report_map.php?zoom=13&lat=-34.91529&lon=138.52762&layers=B0T&ch=0%2C191%2C192%2C193%2C194%2C195%2C196%2C197%2C198&show_ign=1&show_tmpign=1

If anyone is feeling like some armchair mapping here it would be most appreciated.

One question I tried to answer for Garth is how could his area help OpenStreetMap locally. I had a couple of ideas:
* A loan drone that I saw elsewhere today that can get images and integrates into OpenStreetMap and seems practical, (at least in France) for mapping areas without imagery quickly from 120m
* A Friday afternoon meeting for them to show us how they use OpenStreetMap
* Release of Survey Marks in SA for georeferencing

Are there any more ideas?

It was really helpful for me to find someone putting all of our hard work to good use in a public way.

Alex

Begin forwarded message: