[talk-au] Gold Coast Suburb Boundaries

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Nov 26 14:24:06 UTC 2013

Am 26.11.2013 14:01, schrieb Steve Dalton:

> If I was to get hold of proper suburb boundaries from the council - is
> there any way to even enter it? I can't quite see how. Has anyone in
> other cities done this? I did see some reference to Adelaide in the
> list archives but as I've not done a lot of geospatial work some of
> the terms and formats were new to me.

Staying out of the politics and legal issues for now. Technically: it is
not a (at a high level) problem to get the boundaries in to OSM if you
can get them in a common data format (typically this will be ESRI
shapefiles). The devil is naturally in the details, but there is more
than enough technical expertise available to support such an effort.

You should have a look at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Guidelines to see what an
import implies from a non-technical pov.

Simon