[talk-au] Data Quality for addresses

Daniel O'Connor daniel.oconnor at gmail.com
Sun Apr 13 02:41:40 UTC 2014

Would be really good to tackle a lot of this with semi-automated importing
of open address data sets (Vicmap, for example).

We've been pretty lucky here in SA, with Alex Sims spending the last 4
months attaching data from data.sa.gov.au for road names (2800 entries
added! WOOOOOOOOOO).
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_South_Australia#Roads

The motivation was to help our local transport system, Adelaide Metro,
which uses open street map tooling for route planning.

There's also been open data sets for buildings in Geelong, which have been
a boon - mixing in address data with them would push things heavily towards
completion.
I think some Tassie councils have a similar data set or two available.

Interestingly a lot of local or state governments probably have this data
available (the GNAF comes from *somewhere*), it'd be neat to have a
conversation about publishing that openly - particularly now that google
appears to be address complet-ish and importing LIDAR traces of buildings
too.

Imagine if things like planningalerts.org.au ended up with tighter
integration to OSM - being able to use OSM data for geocoding, and flagging
modifications to the map (new building, building demolished, new property
development, etc) - that'd be a really neat use case.

Alternatively, if foursquare started mixing together OSM data with their
existing datasets and contributing that back - I'd love a pretty detailed
map of food, restaurants, and much more based on crowd sourced data,
address completion, etc - half the posts on reddit boil down to "I'm moving
to X, where's a good place to eat/live/etc?"

I'm sure there's a bunch more use cases out there :)