[talk-au] Wither Sydney suburb boundaries?

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Mon Apr 28 12:48:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, 28 Apr, 2014 at 4:17 PM, Ian Sergeant <inas66+osm at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On 28 April 2014 14:23, Michael Gratton <mike at vee.net> wrote:
>
>>  So you are saying the ABS suburb boundaries should be checked
>> individually
>>  rather than imported en mass? How do you know that the quality of
>> the
>>  GNB/Wikipedia/etc data is any better than that of the ABS dataset
>> where they
>>  disagree?
>
> Yes.
>
> Firstly, the ABS data is several years out of date.
>
> The GNB is the authoritative source for whether a suburb exists or
> not.
>
> Comparing several sources - council, gazette, ABS, GNB - if they
> concur, then you've probably got something accurate on your hands.

So how accurate does it have to be? For example, I just downloaded
Andrew's ABS OSM converted datafile (thanks Andrew!), loaded it into
JOSM, and have been eyeballing the differences for the ABS version of
Randwick with the LPI cadastre using in SIX Maps. It's confidence is
rated very good and I can see that the ABS data matches quite well, but
it's missing fine details such as where the suburb falls entirely one
one side of road rather than the centerline, and some corners are a bit
off. Does this matter?

//Mike