[talk-au] Wither Sydney suburb boundaries?

Alex Sims alex at softgrow.com
Tue Apr 29 01:02:30 UTC 2014

On 28 Apr 2014, at 1:53 pm, Michael Gratton <mike at vee.net> wrote:

> On a related note, what's the appropriate way to map suburb-sized areas that are partitions? A way for each suburb that share nodes along common borders, a way for each suburb that don't duplicate nodes along common borders, or using a single way for the border and using a relation?

I might express and opinion about suburb mapping as I’ve done a fair bit of “mapping for the validator” which I suppose is not evil, unlike mapping for the renderer.

I’d prefer relations that depend on single ways, this avoids JOSM complaining too much about duplicate ways and can also tie into the definition in words that might belong in Wikipedia.

If appropriate ways do not exist, then create ways can be untagged or have a “ref=“ tag to indicate what they mean e.g. “Centreline of Smith Road” or “Southern side of Smith Road” etc that corresponds to their actual definition. Then build the relation (suburb) and super-relation (Postcode, LGA area) etc on top of these.

As to the type of relation as “boundary” or “multipolygon” I’ve still not figured out which is best.

Alex