[talk-au] Wither Sydney suburb boundaries?

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Tue Apr 29 14:10:51 UTC 2014

On Tue, 29 Apr, 2014 at 11:02 AM, Alex Sims <alex at softgrow.com> wrote:

> On 28 Apr 2014, at 1:53 pm, Michael Gratton <mike at vee.net> wrote:
>
>> On a related note, what's the appropriate way to map suburb-sized
>> areas that are partitions? A way for each suburb that share nodes
>> along common borders, a way for each suburb that don't duplicate
>> nodes along common borders, or using a single way for the border and
>> using a relation?
>
> I might express and opinion about suburb mapping as I’ve done a
> fair bit of “mapping for the validator” which I suppose is not
> evil, unlike mapping for the renderer.
>
> I’d prefer relations that depend on single ways, this avoids JOSM
> complaining too much about duplicate ways and can also tie into the
> definition in words that might belong in Wikipedia.

This (and Ian's) sounded like pretty good advice, so I have uploaded a
boundary for Randwick based on Andrew's OSM version of the ABS
SSC_2011_AUST, checked and manually adjusted by eyeballing Bing vs SIX
and the Council's PDF map, and simplified by hand.

The changeset is here:
<http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/22023461>, does anyone have any
comments about how it could be improved?

I noticed that as for many suburbs in SA, since I replaced the
place=suburb node previously used the name of the suburb is no longer
rendered. What's best practice here, do we really want to different
entities with the same name?

//Mike