[talk-au] Wither Sydney suburb boundaries?

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 11:05:44 UTC 2014

On 30 April 2014 00:10, Michael Gratton <mike at vee.net> wrote:

> The changeset is here: <http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/22023461>,
> does anyone have any comments about how it could be improved?

Personally -

1. I wouldn't use the new source value ABS SSC_2011_AUST.  I've used
ABS2011-data.gov.au, and that has close to 1500 uses.  ABS2011 has
over 5000.  Pick one of those, rather than a new source tag.

2. I'd add the postcode to the relation.  Nominatim uses it, and it is
goodness.  Assuming you know what it is.

3. Where there is a boundary between the racecourse, the properties,
and the suburb, I would maintain they are all the same boundary, and
would use the same way.  The racecourse doesn't overlap the properties
by a few centimetres, so I don't think we should map this way either.
I know others disagree.

As an aside, the inaccurate shifting of bing data that happened a year
or so is corrected in the mapbox satellite imagery we now have.
Although we don't have the same zoom levels, it again allows us to
accurately map these property and road centres, that are all misplaced
on the bing imagery.  Hopefully greater detail is coming soon.

Ian.