[talk-au] Wither Sydney suburb boundaries?

Ian Sergeant inas66 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 22:46:21 UTC 2014

> On 30 Apr 2014, at 10:53 pm, Michael Gratton <mike at vee.net> wrote:
> Yeah, I noticed that last night. My inclination was to pretend it isn't a problem until the LPI comes around, then make everything align to that. :) I don't disagree that adjacent property boundaries should share ways, but I'm inclined to prefer suburb boundaries have their own, since they are political at best (social at worst) and hence independent of land title boundaries. TRhe splitting of Newtown between the Sydney and Marrickville councils was a good example. In any case, Mapbox for me is giving a pixel's width difference between the three, so I'm not confident about using that (or Bing) to try to rectify (so to speak) the situation at the moment.

I agree that if and when we can use the definitive suburb boundaries we should use their line.

The ABS data just doesn't have the accuracy for that in my experience.  I think you'll generally find in cases like this that the actual boundary is the property line.

So fingers crossed for positive response from LPI!

> What happened to Bing anyway?

About a year ago they loaded new Sydney and surround imagery that was all offset.   Yes you can manually adjust, but there is getting to be more and more stuff unaligned.

I contacted bing maps but no response.

If you are going to use bing then it must be aligned to known good features or easier still to mapbox imagery.

Ian