[talk-au] Cycling network tag

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 11:25:43 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Frank <Sundowner61 at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> The network tag used on cycling routes .. is for example
> National Cycling Network (ncn) as in from one country to another
>
> In Australia we may not use this tag as per the definition .. but the
> length of the route may mean that in Europe it would be an ncn. So should
> 'we' adopt the prractice of 'elevation' the network status? A similar
> practice has been used for highways.

It was quite an eye opener for me earlier this year to cycle in the UK to
discover that they really do have LCN, RCN, and NCN. And they're slightly
different from what I expected: NCN is basically a network that links towns
together, LCN and other stuff, but with the same goal of efficiently
getting from place to place. RCN is a cycle tourism network, and follows
scenic, rather than efficient, routes. (Following an NCN route is often
disappointing...)

Anyway, the practice I've generally followed (in Victoria at least) and I
think others roughly do too is:

LCN: local council routes of minor interest, particularly the on-street ones
RCN: the main network of off-road paths in Melbourne, and all non-mtb
tourism routes (rail trails etc)
NCN: major long-distance routes, like the Mawson Trail.

For my site, cycletour.org, I only render RCN, and I selectively display a
couple of long distance MTB routes.

Steve