[talk-au] Mapping Gallipoli

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 02:29:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've taken the trouble of mapping the present memorials (and their
associated roads, paths .. in some cases adjacent paths so people don't
take the wrong ones) at Gallipoli, Turkey. A few were maped in the south
(mainly British, about 4), one road was GPS sourced. I've tried to get
them all (OZ, NZ and Turkish mainly), there maybe a few left (at least 2
I think) but I've not found them with bing.

The Question?
Should I now map the named ridges, gullies etc that were used by 'us'
(and/or named by 'us') in the action? I'd be using info from the
official Australian history (avalible as pdfs ... and that has copyright
exclusions under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0
Australia (CC BY-NC 3.0 AU) license
<http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/au/>. Oh ... rats ... no
it doesn't - on another page  "The Australian War Memorial holds
copyright for the text, maps and photographs contained in the Official
Histories. Reproduction is allowed for private use only. For commercial
reproduction, the permission of the Memorial must be obtained."
So that is 2 questions .. or 3

  Should it be mapped?  (I'm looking at chapter 24 page 546/7 if your
intrested. link http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/first_world_war/ think
you'd want volume 2)
Would the turks object? I should ask them ..
  Getting permission from the Australian War Memorial?

PS ..
I'm now dowloading the 'Gallipoli Mission'.. I've had the WW1 history
for some time .. and yes I've read it ..

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/first_world_war/AWMOHWW1/Supplementary/GallipoliMission/