[talk-au] Mapping Gallipoli

Michael Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Fri Jan 3 03:08:15 UTC 2014

Hi Warin,

First,  wonderful idea,  my grandad fought there with the 2nd AIF and being able to relate dry names in books to actual places is very satisfying ... whether just looking at the map or making an actual visit.

I think it well worth approaching Australian War Memorial. As OpenStreetMap can be used by commercial entities we cannot use NC licensed data. But as we ourselves are non-commercial and you are trying to do something for common good without reward, you may well get a sympathetic response. In a similar vein, I was able to get permission from the Smithsonian to add volcanos from their global index.

I also agree that asking the Turkish community shows tact and courtesy and will perpetuate the regard that the fighting men of both sides had for each other. I suggest using name:en so that Turkish names can be used as default.

Best wishes for 2014 to all Australian mappers,
Mike