[talk-au] Mapping Gallipoli

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 22:45:20 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've found another map (there must be quite a few of them) with
reasonable clarity - made after the landing, and looks to be better
quality. http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/SC02009/ On the website it
says 'copyright expired' .. I'd take it that means I can use it for OSM
work. It is a bit blurry at the given website resolution (72 dpi -
sharpening the jpg works to a degree), so I'll still be requesting
permission for use of the official history map and mention this map in
addition for locational detail. If I get permission is there somewhere
that it should be stored by OSM?

I've asked the Turkish community and not had any negatives (yet - early
days, only one response so far). I'd expect any violent objections to
happen quickly.

There are detailed maps (really hand sketches) of the trenches .. but I
think they are gone with time, so of little use. If those existed I'd
use 'history battlefield' tags, but for the valleys and ridges I'm
looking at I am thinking of using natural or landscape taes as appropriate.

I note that valleys and ridges are 'abandoned tags' like the radio
telescope – they have wiki pages for voting but no acceptance … mutter
mutter.. I'll be using the accepted official tag 'wadi' for ozie
'gully'... but I won't use it for valley … As ANZAC day is fairly close
.. would battlefield tags appear on the current map renderings? If none
of this will presently appear on the present map renderings that is
little point in rushing the work as the result may well not appear until
after ANZAC day 2014. So I'll stick to those things that might appear!

I've noted Micheals' idea of the name:en tag. I think that will work
well. However some of the places have four names .. as found in
'Gallipoli Mission" appendix 4. I think I'll try sticking to the names
that occur on the maps, with Turkish names from that appendix as
appropriate.