[talk-au] Australian Tagging Guidelines

Ross Scanlon info at 4x4falcon.com
Wed Jan 8 01:14:16 UTC 2014

On 08/01/14 10:26, Warin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some thoughts on Australian Tagging Guidelines - OpenStreetMap Wiki.htm
>
> First it is very good - covers most common issues. In fact I'd call it
> excellent.
>
> But .. there could be some additions?
>

> How do you tag a 'Gully'? .. I've used waterway=stream intermittent=yes,
> googled from an American post. Looks to work (I've used it on Gallipoli).

+1

> Changes?
>

> The default number of lanes.
>
> Currently 2 except for oneway, there it is 1.
>
> Change to
>
> Default number is 2 except for
>
> Motorways = 4?

Would have thought 2 would be more likely, given that they tend to be
two on each carriageway except in urban areas and where additional lanes
may be required.
Mind you it's a while since I drove on one as I tend to avoid them where
possible, rather take the scenic route.

> 4WD difficult ratings .. well the Mountain Bikers have a system .. use
> that? While the difficulty levels change with the vehicle - deep sand
> springs to mind .. 4WDs float over it ... motorcycles have to speed over
> it, with mountain bikes sinking into it, but it might be a starting point?

Look at a new key for this rather than modifying the 4wd_only key.

Don't reinvent the wheel either there is a classification system for this:

http://www.4wdqld.com.au/track-classification.html
http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/iconic-four-wheel-drives/track-classification

so something like:

4wd:scale=easy/medium/difficult/very-difficult

when rendered next to the 4wd_only key use the appropriate icon from the
above.

> Surfaces - we have paved/unpaved sand/dirt/wood etc .. but not
> corrugated(washboard American)[probably most significant], rocky nor
> ripio (South American). Mud? though that may be seasonal. :)

corrugated is intermittent, depends on when the road/track was last
graded and probably should be part of smoothness. The surface is still
gravel/dirt/ground,etc.

surface=mud is already in the wiki

surface=rock is probably better than rocky

Cheers
Ross