[talk-au] Address tagging guidelines for Australia

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 00:12:42 UTC 2014

Welcome Stéphane!

I'm a newcomer myself so take my thoughs as that.

On 19/01/2014 10:42 AM, cleary wrote:
> I prefer
> state=Queensland
> state_code=QLD
> country=Australia
> country_code=AU
> which I understand is consistent with
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:is_in
>
> While there is scope for abbreviations in certain special identified
> categories, the norm remains that names written in full. It seems to me
> that the "state", "state_code", "country" and "country_code" tags make
> adequate provision for both.

+1 on the abbreviations. (Some take AU as Austria, AUS as Austin, Texas
etc)

Been doing a few abbreviation conversions - St Rd Pl Ln and Cr to
Street, Road etc.

Not doing any 'is_in' things .. thoink they should be automated to save
fingers. I'm using my fingers to add tracks from bing, add street names,
etc. Humm ... the St, Rd abbreviation conversions could also be
automated .. So I'll be leaving those too.