[talk-au] Address tagging guidelines for Australia

Stéphane Guillou stephane.guillou at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 03:00:10 UTC 2014

Thanks everyone for your input.

I wonder what was the rationale behind using abbreviations for countries
and states as I understood that the database must be as human-readable
as possible.
Still, I will be following the recommendations on the Key:addr page for
addr:country=AU.

However, I am still unsure about suburb vs city. Key:addr tells us to
watch out for the Australian definition of suburbs, and Wikipedia says
the following:

"In Australia and New Zealand, suburbs have become formalised as
geographic subdivisions of a city and are used by postal services in
*addressing*."

As we are here tagging the address, I was wondering: are we tagging so
the addresses appear as they should when we use them (e.g. when we write
them on an envelope) - the original point of tagging an address I guess
- (in which case I would just go with addr:city=The Gap), or should we
understand the tags as literally as possible (in that case, I would go
addr:city=Brisbane and addr:suburb=The Gap).

What would be the best way to decide on a convention so we can add
guidelines for OSM-AU?

Cheers

Stéphane (chtfn)