[talk-au] Address tagging guidelines for Australia

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 22:21:54 UTC 2014

On 19/01/2014 8:48 PM, Ben Kelley wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I think in Australia, as far as gazetted places go, suburb=town, but
> for these, you can derive it if the suburb has an admin boundary.
>
> City is not gazetted. E.g. Sydney is a suburb. An address in nearby
> Pyrmont is not in Sydney (the suburb), so saying it is in a city
> called Sydney might be confusing.
>
>   - Ben Kelley.

Perhaps better to deal with it as a county/shire issue? As we are
british based then this may be of some assistance?
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/English_Counties

This should separate any two suburbs of the same name (I hope!).
Unfortunately these are not in common use here (unlike britain) so may
not be helpful for general navigation.

As for the post office - I'd think they use the post code first rather
than the city/suburb. I'd think the OS Map is for navigation, not for
the post office? So it should make sense in a navigational way?