[talk-au] Address tagging guidelines for Australia

Stéphane Guillou stephane.guillou at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 02:41:17 UTC 2014

Thanks Ben and Warin for your input.

So my understanding of it so far is that we could recommend to tag as
follows:

*addr:housenumber=*separated with semicolons if several, or range using
a hyphen (current general addressing recommendations)*
**addr:street=*full way name*
*/*addr:postcode=*/four-digit postcode
/addr:suburb=//suburb name
//addr:city=large conurbation (is this the right term?) e.g. Sydney,
Melbourne//
//addr:state=whole name (as general rule is to make it as human-readable
as possible)//
//addr:country=AU (country code as currently recommended)//
/
Housenumber and Street should be pointed out as the most important bits,
as Ben explained. Tags in italic are the less important ones as they can
be deduced from existing boundaries, and thus ignored to minimise a risk
of confusion or inaccuracies. (?)
I understand from this page
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Import/Catalogue/ABS_Data>
that the suburb boundaries already exist. About Australian postcodes,
the same page says that an older dataset was removed due to a change in
licensing. Is there any postcode boundary data currently in use for
Australia?

Add:city is a particular case as I understand there is no official
boundaries for those "conurbations" - am I getting this right, Ben? In
that case, should we recommend users not to use this tag at all as it
might end up being confusing?

Cheers

chtfn