[talk-au] Fwd: Murchison - Square Kilometer Telescope not showing on Garmin maps

Andrew Elwell andrew.elwell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 05:06:04 UTC 2014

Grr. Replied to sender not to list

> I've noted that some (if not all) of the Australian  Square Kilometer
> Telescope north east of Murchison WA is entered (and has been for some time)
> in OSM  but it does not show up on my Garmin maps.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3302441
Ah, I remember that one :-)  - Hi folks

> as the value "radio telescope" does not look to be official yet .. would a
> value of "tower" suit - and edit the names to inculse a prefix of "radio
> telescope" followed by the present name be an aproach that would see these
> things actually apear on the maps?

no. names are as documented for the ASKAP dishes. if we don't *use*
the correct tag, what justification do we have for making the
renderers display it?

it's an observatorry, so we should tag it as such.

> So it looks to me as if a value of "tower" would be best .. then add a
> prefix to the name

and how would you tag the MWA arrays of dipoles? a 'tower' that's only
40cm high would be the same as Spinal tap 'stonehenge'...
(which I haven't yet tagged as I'm trying to find the exact positions
of the arrays) http://www.mwatelescope.org/

Andrew
</rant>