[talk-au] Pipeline / Way

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 07:16:54 UTC 2014

On 20/01/2014 5:38 PM, Andrew Elwell wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Looking round at some of the 'empty' bits of the map I noticed the n-s
> "way" http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/33421267 that goes past the
> airstrip YCSC ('compressor station 6) -- given the name of the
> airstrip and the map on http://www.dbp.net.au/the-pipeline/about.aspx
> is this a 'real' way or just the result of burying the pipeline?
>
> Anyone with local knowledge? (and if so, how should it be tagged)

I know in the east 'they' don't want you to use the tracks made for pipe
line nor fiber optic lines .. some of this may be legal liability, some
for potential damage to remote infrastructure. For potential users I've
found the fiber optic lines can have large rocks on the surface! Hidding
in the regrowth. I think the pipe line 'roads' are better. Yes the road
is a 'result' of laying the infrastructure .. as it is for railway
tracks too.

I'd tag as highway service? or track, access no, surface unpaved, 4WD
recomended ?
I know that in general service roads are short, but in this case?

Why map something 'we' cannot use? If you use a crossroad then it is a
handy navigation point, if it was not mapped then it can be confusing.

In general - where I'm maping from bing sat view I don't remember the
place I tag the 'road' as a track. If it joins with similar (as seen by
the sat) then I'll take the tagging off the road it joins.

There is a pipeline tag with underground
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dpipeline

Tag both pipeline + road?

PS No OSM tag for fiberoptic cable though ...