[talk-au] AU openstreetmapS.com domain squatter

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Fri Mar 21 00:48:02 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> 1) Warning - Bitdefender reports openstreetmapS.com as an attack
> page.
>
> 2) Why obtain a domain name that is so close to another name (that is
> well known)?
>
> 3) Why would you (or a firm) obtain a domain name and then offer it
> for sale if not for making a profit?

Since the usual motivation is to make money by selling it to whoever
wants it, presumably it is being squat for precisely that.

If site is hosting malware, it is quite possible that the host has been
infected by third party. There's not much pressure on domain name
squatters to keep software up to date and given the site appears to be
running PHP 5.3.3, which has at least one known remote code execution
vulnerability, it is possible that the squatter is not deliberately
being malicious.

> If the above is correct then the issurer must also bear some
> responcibility for this .. if that too is parklogic.com thne I'd
> question their rights to issue domain names in the future.

Whois reports the registrar is "KEY-SYSTEMS GMBH"
http://www.key-systems.net/, which appears to be a German registrar.

I'll happily call him. I guess OSM is looking for him to transfer it
back as a donation, i.e. is not willing to pay?

//Mike