[talk-au] Vicmap data copying

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Mon May 19 06:22:16 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-05-17 at 22:12 +1000, Steve Bennett wrote:
> Hi David,
>   The policy shift you're advocating is enormous......

No, no Steve, I worded my last letter really badly and totally apologise
if I unintentionally offended anyone. My comment related specifically to
your line -

> Yeah. I'm still deciding what to do about places where Vicmap shows a
> track in the bush that can't be seen on any imagery - probably because
> the vegetation is too dense.

I meant leave the 'grey' areas to the survey people. There are many
roads (and particularly tracks) that cannot been seen clearly on the
imagery, and many more where some parts cannot be seen. I'd rather the
people working with imagery or other non (recent) survey data such as
Vic Maps did not make "educated guesses" but go and have a look, or ask
some else to go and have a look.

I have had a road (into a new estate) removed, apparently because it did
not show up on Bing. Very annoying to a new owner there who was
directing tradies via OSM ! But that in no way means I don't value the
armchair mappers contribution. I'd just like them to double check their
data, one way or another before committing.

Maybe what we need is some sort of register ? The people studying
imagery are good at picking up anomalies, differences between image and
map. They could log it and have some local go and check ? Better than
just jumping in.

You may be amused to know that some years ago, I was shocked to discover
I had apparently built my house in the middle of the Bendigo Region
National Park. I was waiting to get a letter telling me to move it when
I realised someone had just followed the tree line, assuming all was
national park. They had swept up the Park it self, the Welsford State
Forest, Sugarloaf Conservation Park and a large number of private
properties. A very quick check would have prevented that error.

I am pretty sure all we want is for the database to have accurate,
relevant data.

David