[talk-au] Data for OSM + talk at UNSW

Michael Gratton mike at vee.net
Thu Sep 25 02:14:52 UTC 2014

Hey all,

A while ago I was dissatisfied with the state of UNSW's Kensington
campus in OSM, especially after all of the recent redevelopment along
High St it is really out of date in parts, and inaccurate in many
places elsewhere. Being a student there I have tried to remedy it by
surveying and imagery, but the canyons formed by the buildings render
GPS somewhat unreliable and with the out-of-date imagery, progress was
difficult. Also, things like street names are hardly signposted, so
it's hard to know what the ground truth is.

So I thought that it would be useful to be able to use the University's
own maps as a source, and initiated a discussion with the Facilities
Management (FM) here who maintains infrastructure, buildings grounds,
etc to clarify the copyright status. After a lot of fair bit of to/fro
and patient waiting, it seems they are happy for OSM to use their data
(presumably under the ODbL, I have been stressing that all along). So
I'm going to meet with some people from FM tomorrow and see what they
have got and what their terms are.

They are also interested in my presenting an intro and demo for OSM, so
I need to plan what to do there. I was thinking of roughly the
following:

 * Introducing the default slippy map and various standard layers,
talking about licensing that makes things like MQ Open possible
 * Going through some other applications (mobile apps, GNOME Maps,
Nominatum, GraphHopper)
 * Introducing the data via the Map Data layer on the slippy map
 * Demoing editing using ID2 and JSOM and maybe Vespucci
 * Introducing the wiki and feature documentation
 * Talking a bit about different modes of contributing, and the
importance of maintenance, and talking up the possibly of FM
contributing to it.

What do you think, does that all sound reasonable? Any suggestions of
resources/nifty things to demo in the presentation gratefully accepted.

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>