[talk-au] Use of mapconnect data in OSM [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 13:14:47 UTC 2015

On 15 April 2015 at 23:01, Ross <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:

> The issue is not with the licence.  The current terms and conditions
> require permission to add data not owned by the contributor.

Is there a source for this statement?

I was under the assumption that in order to contribute data (whether your
own or someone else's) into OSM, the data must comply with the contributor
terms. Although the CTs agree to always give attribution, this (probably)
still isn't compatible with the attribution required by CC-BY and the
"provide a link to the license and indicate if changes were made" clauses
of CC-BY. So my thinking is for data to be added to OSM under the current
CTs it needs to waive these requirements of CC-BY and settle for
attribution only (and perhaps a specific form of attribution).

> As you point out though this data is upto 8 years old and in many cases
> there is probably better or more current data available eg Tasmanian Estate
> Reserve.

CAPAD is seems pretty good,
http://www.environment.gov.au/fed/catalog/search/resource/details.page?uuid=%7B4448CACD-9DA8-43D1-A48F-48149FD5FCFD%7D