[talk-au] Use of mapconnect data in OSM [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Apr 16 05:26:32 UTC 2015

On 4/15/2015 6:01 AM, Ross wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> The issue is not with the licence.  The current terms and conditions
> require permission to add data not owned by the contributor.
This is incorrect. An appropriate license is sufficient. Some obviously
appropriate licenses are CC0, PDDL, ODC-BY and the ODbL itself.

The issue is that CC BY (and BY-SA) 2.0, 2.5 and 3.0 require a form of
attribution that is not practical for most map uses, so we need
permission. This would have been true even without the license change,
as we were never meeting the requirements of those versions of CC BY.

We have permission for many Australian sources, and I believe for all CC
BY Australian sources that were in use at the time of the license change.