[talk-au] Use of mapconnect and CAPAD data in OSM

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 05:59:18 UTC 2015

On 16 April 2015 at 15:23, Warren <warren at specialtyfeeds.com.au> wrote:
> I did look at Ross's suggestion of the 2014 CAPAD data set.  From my initial look and my local knowledge it seems to be complete and more current.  Thanks Ross.  The data set is fairly big so it needs to be broken up to be useful.

At the moment, we don't have the licensing required for a potential
import, however there are still some challenges which could be
addressed. Specifically mapping the schema used in CAPAD to OSM. What
I mean by this is mapping the Protected Area Types defined at
http://www.environment.gov.au/fed/catalog/search/resource/details.page?uuid={4448CACD-9DA8-43D1-A48F-48149FD5FCFD}
to the current OSM tags at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dprotected_area I've
taken a first stab at defining this mapping here
https://github.com/andrewharvey/capad2osm